West Ham: Virus could rob Pablo of perfect send-off
West Ham’s Pablo Zabaleta, right, tackles Tottenham’s Harry Kane as he attempts a shot at goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United at Wembley Stadium in London, Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018. FILE

West Ham defender Pablo Zabaleta has said the COVID-19 pandemic may mean he will not have the chance to play in front of supporters again before he ends his Premier League career.

Football in England has been suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic. Argentine Zabaleta, 35, is in his final season at the east London club after signing a contract extension last year.

“I was coming to the end of my career and it was my last season in England, and I wanted to finish in a different way, playing in front of the fans, having those emotions and that adrenaline,” Zabaleta told West Ham’s website.

“I know this but I will find myself maybe playing in empty stadiums and with different emotions, but that’s something I cannot manage myself.”

Zabaleta won two Premier League titles, two League Cups and the FA Cup with Manchester City before joining West Ham in 2017. The Premier League and all the countries I’m sure will try to restart the league, but nothing will be the same,” Zabaleta, who has made 10 league appearances this season, added.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting ‘SPORTS’ to 22840.

For More of This and Other Sports Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here